Couples Communication Workshops
What a joy it is to know that loving each other doesn’t have to be so hard.
Developed at the University of Minnesota Family Studies Center in the early 1970s, the Couple Communication programs are the most researched and substantiated couple communication programs available. Translated into many languages, over 700,000 couples worldwide have participated in the Interpersonal Communications Programs.
The Skinners use ICPs “Collaborative Marriage Skills” (otherwise known as Couple Communication I) as the centerpiece of their Couples Communication Class, i.e., the “how to”. This structured program is taught via lecture, question and answer, video, and lots of live participation. Each couple receives the “Collaborative Marriage Skills” books, talking and listening mats, and pocket cards. (By the way, you don’t have to be married to take part.)
1. In the first session, the Skinners teach each couple how to use Thrive Spheres to identify the individual and joint strengths and weaknesses that describe their relationship. From this exploration, an Action Plan is developed, and is used by couples as a guide throughout the weeks that follow.
2. Progress toward the goal is measured weekly, using Client-Directed Outcome-Informed (CDOI) measures. Attaining the goal is made possible as new skills, techniques, and attitudes are introduced and practiced. Couples and instructors are held accountable by the information gleaned.
What you’ll learn
- How to set a goal for your relationship
- To follow better rules for talking and listening
- The role of neuroscience in forging healthy relationships
- To take a “time out” from fighting and come back to solve problems
- How to identify the real issues
- To become self- and other-aware
- Listening to understand, not agree
- How to grow together and separately
- . . . and more
Some couples periodically want to refresh their communication skills. We encourage participants to keep their relationships in shape by dropping in on future classes. As always, Being Heard offers this opportunity at no charge.